In the United States it is not required to do a patch test on your clients unless your insurance company advises you to do so. However, it is good to know how to and why in the event that the requirements do change with the State Board of Cosmetology. I recommend patch testing any new client you work on or if you switch to a different brand.
- A patch test must be carried out at least 24-48 hours prior to treatment date
- The result from the test will be either positive or negative
- A positive result will be recognized by irritation, swelling or inflammation of the skin. If this occurs you must not proceed with the treatment
- A negative result produces no skin reaction and you can proceed with the treatment
- Results of the test must be recorded on the clients record card
How to patch test for Brow Lamination:
- Clean an area of skin on the client’s left inner arm just below the elbow.
- Place a dab of each of the 3 treatment products and adhesive onto the client’s inner arm, just below the elbow
- Record placement areas and products on client record card
- Do not patch test behind clients ear